I never planned writing about games on this blog, but since I’m a huge DotA fan this one matters to me. The game at the current state is truly unbalanced and changes are necessary to come in following version, so we can see more heroes being picked and banned. If you look at the b/p statistics on The International you will notice that some heroes were p/b 200 times while some never. That thing must change, one way or another.
The .75 is codename in original DotA for the version that has yet to come. Not to be mistaken this is not official changelog, leaked changelog or anything similar. This is just fun-made written list of what should change in next version of DotA to make the game more interesting.
I prefer putting items first for one and only reason. There are less items that require some balance changing than heroes. I really love what IceFrog did to items recently, adding many relatively cheap items. Urn, medallion (evne though not so much used recently), tranquil and arcane boots, even force staff (bit older item). Also adding high cost items such as Abyssal Blade and Heaven’s Halberd did make some impact on the game.
Recently we have seen nearly every role purchasing these boots. Supports – obvious, gankers and even carries like Zhou on Luna. I believe they need a certain nerf.
– Bonus HP regeneration decreased from 3 to 2
– Bonus armor decreased from 3 to 2
– Decreased HP restoring from 170 to 150
Ever since they came in DotA world, nearly every hero started purchasing these boots. Yes, arcane ring was awful but that doesn’t mean those boots should be this good.
– Reduced movement speed gain from 65 to 60
– Reduced mana restoration from 135 to 125
Simple, small, necessary change.
– Increased recipe cost from 900 to 1000
I like the idea behind this item, I really do. A half-blink without combat cooldown and you can push everyone out. Still bit overpowered.
– Increased cooldown from 20 to 28 seconds
Black King Bar:
OK this item is pretty balanced, but personally I’d add a small increase of recipe cost to round up total cost at least.
– Recipe cost increased from 1300 to 1400
Also I’d like to see new item (this is fun part, it would be hard to make it balanced), a counterpart of sange and yasha. The items necessary for recipe would be Staff of Wizardry and Robe of the magi, while the recipe would cost 700. Then you could mix that new item up with sange, yasha and together with sange and yeaha at the same time to make a really cool 6k item.
Recent versions, especially the last one featured mostly buffs. Almost every single hero was buffed, a lot. Also, regarding Dota 2, I don’t get why did they put some relatively new DotA heroes instead of the old school ones, Centaur, Magnus, Bristleback. Probably due higher impact on competitive play, still Rubick is way too god atm. Also I believe that top carries currently on the scene are there due to many reasons, but one of them is movement speed. If you look at heroes such as Luna, Chaos Knight, Naga and Magina, they all have 15-30 ms above the standard “300”. If you look at flop carries, nearly all of them got movement speed less than 300. It matters, it really does. I would add slight changes to nearly every hero, but those listed bot are changes that came to my head. Maybe some or way too much buffed or nerfed, but hey it’s my opinion.
I remember when ES was top ban/pick in DotA. At TI he was picked just 8 times so far, according to DotA academy. Some changes are necessary to get this orc take place as best initiator instead of tide.
– Fissure cooldown decreased from 15 to 15/14/13/12
– Fissure manacost decreased from 125/140/155/170 to 110/120/130/140
Guess what, no picks, no ban on this guy at The International. Even though its hard getting him in competitive play, some buffs are necessary.
– Base movement speed increased from 295 to 300.
– Storm bolt cooldown decreased from 15 to 15/14/13/12
– Storm bolt mana cost rescaled from 140 to 110/120/130/140
– Warcry bonus speed increased from 12% to 12%/13%/14%/15%
– God’s strength adds 5%/10%/15% lifesteal
I don’t know why, but I feel having cleave on Scepter upgrade is unnecessary and overpowered on this big guy.
– Removed 50% cleave bonus from Aghanim’s Scepter upgrade
The AOE guy used to be good back in original DotA. Then he received some nervs later on buffs. But what matters is that he’s not played anymore.
– Base damage increased by 5
Dragon Knight isn’t even flop. He just isn’t picked anymore cause he requires at least threads and bkb to be useful up to some extant. Other heroes do better without that. I’d like to see some of the movement speed on his ult that was unfairly taken from him!
– Elder dragon form bonus movement speed increased from 25 to 30/40/50
This hero was picked quite often on first The International, obviously due to lack of heroes and not some recent hero changes. At this TI same as his friend sven, no picks, no bans.
– Intelligence gain increased from 1.3 to 1.7
– Rocket flare cooldown from 20/18/16/14 to 20/17/14/10
– Hookshot manacost rescaled from 150 to 100/150/200
Fear nothing! At least that’s what he used to say. Now none can hear it cause he wasn’t either picked or banned so far.
– Base movement speed increased from 300 to 310
– Base strength increased by 1
– Repel cooldown decreased from 14 to 12
Well this hero wasn’t picked even once, neither banned of course but it’s hard for this one to get into competitive games. I mean he’s pub hero, he’s there to kill a solo hero. In a five versus five games, there is barely anything this hero can do.
– Base strength increased from 18 to 23
– Base intelligence decreased from 18 to 16
– Attack range increased from 400 to 450
– Burning spear cast range increased from 450 to 500
This hero used to be good before the last nerf on his HP gain from ultimate. He was just picked once on this year TI.
– Chemical rage HP gain from 300/600/900 to 450/700/950
The annoying blink, clap and ult guy. Some nerfs are surely necessary but not huge ones.
– Base movement speed decreased from 300 to 295
– Thunder clap mana cost rescaled from 90/105/130/150 to 120/130/140/150
Damn this fish got so huge buffs recently, especially to Anchor smash. It’s huge, its devastating and its so powerful. NERF IT!
– Gush armor reduction reduced from 2/3/4/5 to 1/2/3/4
– Anchor smash radius decreased from 400 to 350
– Anchor smash cooldown increased from 7/6/5/4 to 7
A king that hides and refuses any fame? Probably possible if he’s a Skeleton. Truth to be told I didn’t expect this guy to be picked at The International cause he even sucks at Pubs, and at serious team game he’s useless but some buffs would be more than good.
– Base strength increased by 3
– Hellfire blast manacost rescaled from 140 to 110/120/130/140
– Hellfire blast damage increased from 50/100/150/200 to 70/140/170/200
– Reincarnation manacost decreased from 140 to 100
Lifestealer? Probably stole his own life, so he’s “no life-ing” now, staying at home and hiding from public, hiding from Dota scene.
– Rage attack speed bonus increased from 30/45/60/80 to 40/60/80/100
– Rage duration increased from 2.5/3.25/4/4.75 to 3/3.75/4.5/5
– Open wounds manacost decreased from 110 to 100
– Infest cooldown reduced from 100 to 100/80/60
Due to recent changes on how jungle creeps respawn (faster), the junglers became very popular. But this is a carry jungler, good at pushing, dealing dmg, tanking, escaping – nearly everything.
– Wolves level increased from 2/2/2/2 to 2/3/3/4 (giving more exp and gold per kill on higher levels)
– Removed bonus armor on shapeshift
– Shapeshift bonus HP reduced from 100/200/300 to 50/125/200
– Shapeshift critical damage reduced from 1.7x to 1.5x
Phantasm, reality rift, BAM! Support dead.
– Reality rift range decreased from 550/600/650/700 to 525/550/575/600
– Reality rift manacost increased from 70 to 70/80/90/100
Anti Mage? I’d rather call this one Anti everything. Perfect hero for escaping, farming, killing, everything. Dota community wants to see this hero – nerfed. The biggest problem I see with this hero is that his spells are way too strong on first level.
– Base movement speed decreased from 320 to 310
– Mana Break burn damage rescaled from 28/40/52/64 to 22/36/50/64
– Blink cooldown rescaled from 12/9/7/5 to 14/11/8/5
– Spell shield resistance rescaled from 26%/34%/42%/50% to 20%/30%/40%/50%
I don’t believe this can lead to her showing on the scene. As every other flop carry currently she requires farm to be successful, but she can’t get it while opponents are pushing.
– Base strength increased from 17 to 19
Since Windrunner appeared on the scene, pubbers favorite hero slowly disappeared in competitive play.
– Sacred arrow cooldown reduced from 25 to 20
Probably the most imba hero in Dota right now. Even though he was very powerful hero in recent versions IceFrog decided to buff him even more. The ability to cast morph while being stunned/silenced is just … too broken.
– Reduced morph bonus strength and agility gain from 3/4/5/6 to 1/2/3/4
– Unable to cast morph while being stunned
– Does not morph while being silenced, stunned or hexed
Also please put his old animation from DotA back. Shooting from his water body, not from his hand (or at least make it both hands).
Small buff that could make some impact on her.
– Wave of Terror damage increased from 18.75/37.5/56.25/75 to 30/60/90/120
Even tho he was buffed in last version by +0.25 per agility damage on backstab, one similar buff would be good.
– Smoke screen AOE increased from 250/275/300/325 to 275/300/325/350
– Backstab damage bonus increased from 0.5/0.75/1.0/1.25 × Agility to 0.75/1.0/1.25/1.5 × Agility
Why the top carries are top carries atm? A lot due to movement speed. Top carries like Luna, Chaos Knight, Magina and Naga Siren got ms above 320. That matters whole game!
– Base movement speed increased from 290 to 295
– Shrapnel AOE increased from 350 to 400.
– Shrapnel manacost rescaled from 120 to 90/100/110/120
– Homing missile stun rescaled from 2.5 to 1-5 seconds depending on distance from the place where Gyrocopter casted to spell to the place where it hits (every 200 range the stun duration increases by 0.5 second, maximum at 2000 stunning 5 seconds)
– Homing missile hits needed to be destroyed increased from 3 to 3/3/4/5
He’s tanky! Damn he is. Reducing some of his HP gain on true form is necessary, even though he owns early game without it too.
– Base movement speed reduced from 315 to 305
– Spirit bear base movement speed reduced from 320 to 310
– Synergy true form HP gain reduced from 100/200/300/400 to 50/100/150/200
The most banned hero on TI! Guess why? He sucks? NO. He’s one of most devastating heroes out there, and he deserves to be hit by nerf hammer. The most unbalanced thing about her is the lulaby ult.
– Song of Siren cooldown increased from 180/120/60 to 180/140/100
– Song of Siren AOE rescaled from 1250 to 850/1050/1250
Quick as lightning! At least that’s what the lore says. I don’t see many ways to buff this guy (except just increasing points, reducing cd etc.), but one thing is sure. If the lore says: “Quick as lightning”, maybe him be quick.
– Base movement speed increased from 295 to 315
– Unstable current damage incresaed from 40/70/100/130 to 50/80/120/150
The most picked/banned support hero next to Rubick. Why? GALE! That slow, HURTS!
– Venomous gale starting slow rescaled from 50% to 27%/35%/42%/50%
– Poison ward max hp rescaled from 75/200/325/450 to 100/200/300/400
One of the most versatile heroes in the pool. Can run, stun, hit, antipush, you name it.
– Shackleshot stun duration on miss decreased from 0.75 to 0.25
– Shackleshot stun duration decreased from 1.5/2.25/3/3.75 to 1.25/2/2.75/3.5
OK, this hero is flop. After the addition of magic stick he became next to useless cause its hard for him to last hit without arc lightning, and it just fills up the stick chargers so quickly.
– Arc lightning manacost rescaled from 65/70/75/80 to 50/60/70/80
– Lightning bolt damage rescaled from 100/175/275/350 to 125/200/275/350
Devastating! No other words for this hero. Great at every single role in the game.
– Treant magic resistance reduced from 33% to 25%
– Wrath of Nature max targets rescaled from 16 to 12/14/16 (14/16/18 with scepter) as it was in 6.72
– Last word intelligence steal increased from 1/2 to 2/2 (one if close, two per kill now two always)
I don’t even now why they added this new hero before the old school ones. And this hero is way too imba. With free hood for whole team, nearly any enemy spell he wants and a good stun he’s just way too good not to be nerfed.
– Base movement speed decreased from 300 to 295
– Telekinesis manacost increased from 120 to 120/130/140/150
– Fade bolt cooldown from 16/14/12/10 to 16
– Spell steal cast range rescaled from 1000 to 600/800/1000
Possibly the strongest nuker in game, which is one of the reasons he’s top pick/ban now.
– Base movement speed decreased from 315 to 305
– Split earth cooldown increased from 9 to 12
This hero is hugely different from his DotA counterpart. Why? Vacuum. In original DotA you couldn’t pull heroes through cliff, but in Dota 2 that’s possible. The biggest deal is when a team goes for Roshan, he can pull them up and get them all. Fix that please.
Buff, buff and buff. This guy was buffed for like last … 50 versions. OK, he hasn’t been that long in DotA at all. But seriously he’s a strong hero and gets buffed with every new version. Why? To be honest I don’t play Invoker at all so I can’t tell which of his spells should be nerfed, but at least his bonus stats gain could be reduced to one or even removed.
Maybe these aren’t the best changes that could impact the game in a positive way, probably IceFrog has a better idea along with his beta testers. But currently, in this format, some heroes are way too good (as you can see from b/p on TI, they are picked and banned 150-200 times) while some heroes are … bad. It’s not about meta or what a player can play, its just that the hero is bad. There are “lots” of heroes that weren’t even banned or picked on TI. Please fix those heroes so they can appear once in a while at least.
What do you think about this list? Do you agree with nerfing heroes such as Morphling, Magina, Lycanthrope and Dark Seer? Do you believe that small changes could make an impact on flop heroes and put them back where they belong, in game?
Leave us a comment below with your thoughts on the scene, list and what should change in next version.